Winter Squash Dinner Rolls
- 1½ cups cubed squash
- (buttercup, butternut, acorn
- or other winter variety),
- cooked and mashed
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water (110°)
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup milk, scalded and cooled
- 1 egg white, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Drain mashed squash and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Combine 5 cups of flour with sugar and salt in a large bowl. Stir in yeast mixture; add shortening, squash and scalded, cooled milk. Mix well.
- Stir in the remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and form into rounds.
- Place the rounds in a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise