Vegetable Barley Soup
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks and leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2½ quarts vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup barley
- 1 bay leaf, dried
- 2 medium potatoes, scrubbed and
- 2 carrots, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 30-ounce can whole tomatoes, coarsely
- chopped, with juice
- 1½ cups seasonal greens such as kale,
- chard or collards, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt to taste
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven or large soup pot, sauté the onion and celery in oil until tender and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth or water and bring to a boil.
- Rinse barley under running water.
- Add barley and bay leaf to boiling soup stock; simmer 1 hour or until barley is tender.
- Add potatoes, carrots and tomatoes to soup.
- Simmer 1 hour or until vegetables are soft. Add more water if soup is too
- Approximately 5 minutes before serving, add greens and basil, cooking until greens are just-tender.
- Add salt to taste; stir and serve.
- Note: Pairs well with a lettuce salad and a whole wheat baguette or winter squash dinner rolls.
- —From Annie B. Bond, Care2.com